FSSAI full form is the Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) – Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) which is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
FSSAI – Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
The FSSAI has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 which is a consolidating statute related to food safety and regulation in India. It is an organization that monitors and governs the food business in India.
FSSAI License is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
FSSAI License or FSSAI Registration is mandatory before starting any food business.
FSSAI Registration is required for all food related businesses such as manufacturers, traders, restaurants, small eateries, grocery shop, importers, exporters, home based food businesses, dairy farms, processors, retailers, e-tailers . Who are involved in food business must obtain a 14-digit registration Number or a Food license number which must be printed on food packages or Displayed in Premises. This 14 digit FSSAI license number gives data about the producer’s permit or enrolment subtle elements, and the assembling state.
The following are the statutory powers granted by the FSS Act, 2006 to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI):
- Fencing of food safety standards
- Establish guidelines for accreditation of food testing labs.
- Provide scientific advice and technical support to Central Government.
- Contributing to the development of overseas food technology standards.
- Collecting and collecting data regarding food consumption, pollution, emerging hazards etc.
- Disseminating information and promoting awareness of food safety and nutrition in India.
Standards designed by FSSAI are determined under Food Safety and Standards (Food and Supplementary Food Supplement) Regulation, 2011, Food Safety and Standards (Packing and Labeling) Regulation, 2011 and Food Safety and Standards (Pollution, Toxicity, and Residues) Regulations, 2011.
The FSSAI has determined the following standards:
- Dairy products and analogs.
- Oils, oils and oils emulsions
- Fruits and vegetable products
- Grain and grain products
- Meat and meat products
- Fish and fish products
- Sweets and liquids
- Sweetener agents include honey
- Salt, spices, condiments and related products
- Beverages, (excluding milk and fruit and vegetable based)
- Other food product and ingredients
- Properties of the property
- Food rays
- Consolidation of basic foods such as vegetable oil, milk, salt, rice, and wheat/maida flour
- Food consumption pattern
- New food products and additives
- Changes in processing technologies leading to altered specifications
- Advances in food analysis methods
- The identification of new risks or other control options.
Get a FSSAI Licence consultation from our experts.
Q.1 What is FSSAI License?
FSSAI Stands for “Food Safety and Standard Authority of India. FSSAI is an Independent organization under the Ministry of Health. FSSAI Registration is mandatory for every individuals or entity that is eligible for an FSSAI food safety Registration or License.
Q.2 Importance of FSSAI License?
Maintaining the food quality levels in order to ensure safety and providing satisfaction to every consumer is the aim of every Food Business Operator. Food safety and standards authority of India (FSSAI Registration) plays an important role in formulating the controlling procedures.
Q.3 FSSAI License Registration Procedure?
There are 4 steps including fssai license registration procedure that are following:-
- Selection of Kind of Business
- Selection of Food Category
- Selection of Type of License
- Issue of Certificate
Q.4 FSSAI License Registration Documents?
Common Documents Required for Obtaining FSSAI Registration
- FSSAI declaration
- Photo Identity of FBO
- Proof of possession of premises (eg. Rental Agreement)
- Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association etc.
- List of food products to be dealt with.
- Food safety management system plan
Q.5 Type of FSSAI License Registration?
- Basic registration: It Includes Business Having Turnover up to 12 Lakh in a Year
- State license: Business having turnover between 12 lakh to 20 cr in a year comes under state license
- Central license: Business having turnover above 20 cr comes under central license, any business doing export and import also come under central license
Q.6 How to Get FSSAI License for Online Food Selling Business?
FSSAI has extended its scope to include the applications of e-commerce food services. This category includes delivery services such as Uber Eats, Swiggy and Zomato and online grocery stores such as amazon, Big Basket, etc. Of late, the food e-commerce sector has grown tremendously. As these platforms operate widely, it is important for these services to ensure compliance with FSSAI.
Q.7 What is Good Food Hygiene Practices for Restaurants as Per FSSAI?
- Cleaning :- Working area and equipment/ utensils should be cleaned appropriately.
- Water Supply :- There should be an adequate supply of potable water. The water should be examined chemically and bacteriologically by a NABL accredited laboratory. Ice and steam wherever in use should be made from the same portable water.Raw Materials :- Certain FSSAI guidelines should be followed in the handling and preparation of raw materials
Q.8 What are all the things that the hotel will be careful while preparation of non veg product?
- Raw meat and processed meat should be kept separate from other food items.
- The used surface should be adequately cleaned with anti- bacterial agents.
Q.9 What is the Guideline Issued by FSSAI about Food Preparation Area?
Cooking and frying should be done under chimney having an appropriate suction capacity.
Q.10 What are the Criteria for FSSAI Registration?
- Registrations are granted to small or petty FBOs whose annual turn- over does not exceed Rs. 12 lakhs.
- Registrations are granted by the Registering Authority who may be Designated Officer/ Food Safety Officer or any official in Panchayat, Municipal Corporation or any other local body or Panchayat in an area, notified by the State Food Safety Commissioner.
- Documents required while applying for a Registration:-
- Application in Schedule-1
- Fees @Rs. 100/- per annum
- Address proof (Government documents like Voter ID card)
- Photograph of applicant
4. Registration Card should be exhibited at a prominent place of business premise.